Friday

ABIGAIL'S PART ESSAY PART OF THE ASSIGNMENT COMPLETED:

I recently finished the first part of the essay, and I am now waiting for the others to finish theirs. My part of the essay was to explan what media convergence is, and I gave some examples.
A book which helped me with my part of the essay, and some of the others in the group was a book by Henry Jenkins.



This book helped me a lot throughout my research and understanding of what media convergence really is, and made me aware of how media convergence works, and how media convergence is not a recent thing, but has been happening for many years.

The following is my part of the essay. I got the smallest part of the essay to write, as I am going to be editing the essay together, aswell as editing the audio.

MEDIA CONVERGENCE: What is it? Abigail Weston.

Media Convergence is the development of different types of media forming together to make one bigger and better media experience. Different types of merging media include: television programmes being shown via the internet, such as the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD. Newspapers are now available to be read on the internet on official websites or blogs, and books are available to be downloaded and read on digital tablets, such as the Kindle, and the iPad. Buying music on CD’s is swiftly becoming a thing of the past, with more and more people choosing to download their music online, as they find it more accessible and quicker to do so.

Convergence was described by Henry Jenkins as a “word that describes technological, industrial, cultural, and social changes, in the ways in which the media circulates within our culture.” H.Jenkins also stated that media convergence could be referred to as a situation whereby numerous media organisations coexist together, and where media content is able to flow fluidly across them. He believes that the Convergence of media is an on-going process between different media systems. These systems include news, television, radio, the internet and social networking websites.

(JENKINS, H , 2006. Convergence Culture: Where old and new Media Collide. 1st ed. 282: New York University Press..)


By Abigail Weston

No comments:

Post a Comment